A Proven Program for Better Health and Lasting Weight Loss
Phil and Amy Parham, contestants on NBC’s The Biggest Loser, provide a faith-based, informative, and motivational book that will encourage those facing weight challenges to permanently transform their lives and live their dreams of being healthier, happier, and more fit.
This is not a diet book for temporary change but a manual for permanent transformation. The 90-Day Fitness Challenge will
- encourage readers to embark on a 90-day program for permanent weight loss
- outline simple and practical healthy food and fitness plans
- point the way toward developing better eating habits and an active lifestyle
- incorporate Scripture and faith principles to encourage readers to make God a part of their journey
- provide motivation through heartfelt and encouraging daily devotional readings
The Parhams know from personal experience the obstacles to fitness that overweight readers face. Having lost a combined total of 256 pounds, they come alongside readers to provide inspiration, motivation, and practical life skills on their 90-day journey toward better health and lasting weight loss.
(press release from Harvest House website.)
1. With summer here, it seems like a great time for a fitness challenge. Why will your book be helpful in setting and accomplishing my readers summer health goals?
Our book would be a big help to anyone trying to lose weight and get healthy. We use a daily approach to health. Writing and journaling every day is really the key.
2. What would you say to the discouraged Mom, who wants to get started but is lacking the willpower?
I would tell anyone, hang in there. Everyone can get discouraged from time to time. I would find other moms or people who want to get healthy and partner with them. We all need friendship and accountability. We all have those days that are better than others. You have to set your goals and go for it. We need like-minded people to help us when we have those days, and then in return we can do the same.
3. I really liked that you included book suggestions within The 90-Day Fitness Challenge. What one book (besides the Bible) has made the biggest difference in your health journey?
I love Tosca Renos’ first book, The Eat Clean Diet. I think it is fabulous, I recommend it to everyone. Also Losing to Live, Jillian Michaels’ first book.
4. What are three things you do today to maintain your health?
I try to get some kind of exercise in daily, I do not keep junk food in the house, (if it is there I will eat it), I stay accountable to my spouse for even the small things.
5. Besides buying your book, what else would you encourage my readers to have on hand to get started with their own 90 Days?
A water bottle and a pedometer. I tell people in my challenges to drink nothing but water the first week. You can hear the moans and groans from the people but when they do it, they lose weight. They literally cannot believe the changes that one thing makes. The pedometer is to track your steps and all of it counts. You should train yourself to walk and move more.
6. Because my blog is the Missional Mama, I was wondering what role missions or being missional plays in your life?
We love missions and helping people. We are starting to work in the fall with helping parents who have autistic children like us. It is really a cause near to our hearts, our goal is to help the parents. Did you know that 87% of parents of a special needs child end up in divorce? My mission is to help those parents with Respet care. They need a date night and some down time. The focus is only on the child and that is important, but the parents need help too. We really see this as our mission field as well.
7. Can you tell us about your blog?
We created a new blog and really just had guest bloggers through our challenge because we were so busy. We also wanted to see it from a new perspective. We are working now on writing blogs we will be putting on our website as well as emailing daily to people. We really just want to encourage people every day and let them know this is a battle for all, but it is a battle we can win!
8. Do you have anything else you would like to add?
What is on my heart today is this. I would love to see the Pastors of America, embrace weight loss as a mission field. We always have tons of non-believers come to the church because we are addressing their need. We have had people join and meet Jesus through our weight loss challenges. We just talk about the body and the heart but they get it. It changes people’s lives. If we can begin to change them physically, they are open to other areas of their lives, where they might have just shut down. Hope and encouragement is what we are selling! We love to see people’s lives changed and I think the church needs to take the lead on this. Pray for Pastors who are overwhelmed and pray that the church will see this as the new ministry and mission field it truly is
Interestingly, The 90-Day Fitness Challenge is written from both Phil and Amy’s perspectives. The first part of the book holds the information to get started. This is not new information for most people, but it is that reminder and little push that is needed. I especially liked the idea of writing down where you are and your goals. Not just a pep talk, the book is full of practical tips, ideas, other book suggestions, and photos.
The second part of the book is the 90 day portion. Each day has a note from either Phil or Amy, a challenge, a tip, plus a place to record your food intake, fitness, and thoughts. I am reading Day 13 today and so far have enjoyed fitting the messages into my routine. Not one to write in my books, I would recommend buying a journal to record your daily food and fitness in or finding a place online like www.myfitnesspal.com.
I recommend The 90-Day Fitness Challenge to anyone who needs that extra accountability to become healthier.
I was given this book by Harvest House in exchange for my honest review.